News

Bears sign QB Cutler to 7-year deal

Bears sign QB Cutler to 7-year deal

HERE FOR THE LONG HAUL: Jay Cutler signed a seven-year deal with the Chicago Bears. Photo: Associated Press

(Reuters) – The Chicago Bears ended media speculation about their quarterback position on Thursday by announcing Jay Cutler had agreed a seven-year contract to remain with the National Football League team.

Cutler, who could have become an unrestricted free agent,

is now signed through the 2020 season.

“Very excited to have Jay for the long term,” general manager Phil Emery told a news conference.

Emery said three other players headed for free agency in March had also been signed to new deals – kicker Robbie Gould, cornerback Tim Jennings and left guard Matt Slauson.

Cutler, 30, recorded a career-high 89.2 quarterback rating in 2013, completing 63.1 percent of his passes for 2,621 yards with 19 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 11 games.

The strong-armed quarterback missed five games this season with a torn groin muscle and an ankle sprain, with back-up Josh McCown ably filling in as the Bears (8-8) came within a final-game loss to the Green Bay Packers of qualifying for the playoffs.

In five seasons with the Bears, Cutler has become the franchise’s all-time leader in most passing categories including completions, attempts, yards and QB rating.

His record as a starter since arriving in 2009 in a trade with the Denver Broncos is 39-28.

(Reporting by Larry Fine in New York, editing by Tony Jimenez)

Latest Stories

3 hours ago in Music

Taylor Swift is laughing all the way to the bank

Singer Taylor Swift performs during her "1989" world tour at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Friday, July 10, 2015. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

The "Shake It Off" star has earned $73.5 million from album sales, streaming and publishing revenue and her 1989 world tour - almost double the fortune amassed by country star Kenny Chesney, who is a distant second.

5 hours ago in Entertainment

‘Oregon Trail,’ ‘Sonic’ join World Video Game Hall of Fame

videogamehall2016AP

Last year, "Super Mario Bros." and "Pong" were among the first inductees to the World Video Game Hall of Fame. The class of 2016 is just as strong.

8 hours ago in Entertainment

Seth MacFarlane returning to Fox with new sci-fi series

sethmacfarlane536713938826

The "Family Guy" star is producing a new series set 300 years in the future.

11 hours ago in Music

Kelly Rowland glad she waited to have children

15-overlay-1

The R&B star is thankful she didn't rush into motherhood because she may never have found her "amazing" husband Tim Witherspoon.

11 hours ago in Music

‘You can’t always get what you want,’ Stones tell Trump

rollingstonesREUTERS

The Rolling Stones told Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump on Wednesday to stop using the band's music for his campaign after artists such as Adele and R.E.M. made the same request.