Maybin banned 25 games for doping violation

Maybin banned 25 games for doping violation

SUSPENDED:an Diego Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin (24) scores on a ground out by right fielder Will Venable (25, not pictured) against the San Francisco Giants during the fifth inning at AT&T Park on June 24. Photo: Reuters/ USA TODAY Sports/Kyle Terada

(Reuters) – San Diego Padres outfielder Cameron Maybin has been suspended for 25 games for violating Major League Baseball’s joint drug prevention and treatment program, the league announced on Wednesday.

Maybin, whose suspension is effective immediately, tested positive for an amphetamine, the commissioner of baseball’s office said in a statement.

The 27-year-old, who is the first player in the majors to be suspended this season for violating the drug program, said that his positive test came from a change in medication he had used to treat attention deficit disorder.

“Unfortunately, in my attempts to switch back to a medicine that had been previously OK’d, I neglected to follow all the rules and as a result I tested positive,” Maybin said in a statement released by the MLB Players Association.

“I want to assure everyone that this was a genuine effort to treat my condition and I was not trying in any way to gain an advantage in my baseball career.

“I understand that I must accept responsibility for this mistake and I will take my punishment and will not challenge my suspension. I apologize to my family, friends, fans, teammates, and the entire Padres organization.”

Maybin is batting .247 for the Padres this season with one homer and nine RBIs in 62 games.

(Reporting by Mark Lamport-Stokes in Los Angeles; Editing by Toby Davis/Steve Keating)

Latest Stories

in Entertainment

Cosby to be deposed in sexual abuse lawsuit


Bill Cosby was expected to testify under oath in a lawsuit brought by a woman accusing the veteran comedian of sexual abuse.

in Entertainment

OPENING WEEKEND: Biopic ‘Steve Jobs’ competes against ‘Pan,’ ‘The Walk’


Here's a look at the movies set to open nationwide this weekend.

in Entertainment

‘Ant-Man’ sequel and three more Marvel movies are coming


The superhero universe will add three more as of yet unnamed movies by 2020.

in Entertainment

Carlton says there won’t be a ‘Fresh Prince’ reboot


Alfonso Ribeiro is adamant there will never be a TV reboot of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," because no one can take the place of their "cornerstone" James Avery.

in Entertainment

‘Netflix and chill’ is going to cost you a little more


The price increase only affects new customers to the company's "standard" plan, which allows two viewers use a subscription at once.